Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bike for Fort Sill

Last week I was talking to my squad leader about packing for Iraq and it occurred to me I would be bringing a lot of cold weather gear. We go to Fort Sill for training in the US for 72 days before we head for the sand box. It gets cold in Oklahoma in the winter, so we will bring our cold weather gear. We get deployed from Fort Sill, so I will have Army long underwear in Iraq.

Then I realized that if I stash my new one-speed bike in the Conex that's going to Iraq, I won't have a bike in Oklahoma. And even for a Yankee like me, Oklahoma is less dangerous than Iraq, so I realized I would need some kind of bike I could possible leave behind--or go without riding for 72 days.



A FOLDING BIKE READY TO RIDE



So I got my old Dahon folding bike out of the garage and took it to Bill and Jeremiah at Bike Line in Lancaster. They are going to clean it up and make sure it works before January. The bike fits in a backpack, so I will just have one more piece of luggage, not a whole bike.

When I rode this bike to work seven years ago--50 miles on the train, 5 on the bike--my co-workers called it the Clown Bike. It should look even funnier when I am wearing ACUs.

FOLDED UP

5 comments:

  1. Times must in tough in Uncle Sam's army Neil; even our soldiers get around in jeeps and LAVs! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bro - This really does look like a Clown Bike...but it'll serve its purpose. Best of luck to you on Thursday, I will send you a good dose of positive energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be 72 days in Oklahoma and I will have the easiest transportation to the Post Exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neil, just read your story in PR Tactics. I work for a PR firm in Oklahoma and love what you are doing. Welcome to the sooner state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kari--Thanks. We also return to Oklahoma before we go home after Iraq. We get Easter off, but can't go more than 50 miles from Fort Sill. I am hoping my wife can come out to visit before we get on the big plane ride.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

Not So Supreme: A Conference about the Constitution, the Courts and Justice

Hannah Arendt At the end of the first week in March, I went to a conference at Bard College titled: Between Power and Authority: Arendt on t...